2.08.2012

happy birthday to meeeee -- just a good ol' vanilla cake


Everyone told me that it was weird that I was going to make my own birthday cake, but after all it's my birthday and I'll do what I want!
 I bought this Philosophy Vanilla Birthday Cake Body Wash for my friend for her birthday (the package is too freaking adorable) and there was a recipe right on the bottle, so I wrote it down and ate it for my birthday cake.Vanilla cake is my favorite (what some may call boring, I call delicious) so I figured this was a perfect time to try the recipe out. 

It was an interesting texture, almost like pound cake. Admittedly, I overcooked the cake a little so that could be why the texture was more dense. I am going to have to experiment with this because I think this recipe may just have the potential to be a great vanilla cake :)

Philosophy Vanilla Birthday Cake

Ingredients

  • 3 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup margarine, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 5 eggs, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup evaporated milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon butter flavor

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Butter and flour 2, 8 inch cake pans and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the butter, margarine and oil. Mix for 30 seconds or until combined.
4. Add the sugar gradually to the butter mixture. 
5. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for one minute in between each.
6. In a small bowl, combine the milk, water and flavoring.
7. Add the four mixture to the butter mixture alternating with the milk mixture, starting and ending with flour.
8. Divide the pattern evenly into the prepared pans and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Buttercream Frosting

  • 1 and 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into cubes and room temperature
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Beat the butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about 4 minutes)
2. Gradually add the powdered sugar on low speed, add the milk halfway after 1 and 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, then add the rest.
3. Beat the mixture until well combined, about one minute.
4. Add the vanilla and increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 5 minutes.



FROST!

Enjoy :) <3, The Sweet Petite

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...