*Recipe from The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook: The New Classics
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
4 large egg yolks
2 and 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1. In a medium sized bowl mix together the cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in the sugar. Add the egg yolks and then pour in a 1/2 cup of milk. Whisk until the mixture is well combined.
2. In a medium sized saucepan, heat the remaining 2 cups of milk and the heavy cream over medium heat, until the mixture comes to just a boil. Slowly pour the milk mixture into the cocoa mixture. (Careful here, the milk will scald and spray at the sides of the pan when you pour.)
3. Rinse out the saucepan with water but do not dry it out (this prevents scorching). Pour the custard mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat. Add the vanilla extract. Stir the mixture constantly with a wooden spoon until it becomes thick --- like the texture of mayonnaise.
4. Pour the custard through a fine sieve to smooth out any lumps. Add the chopped chocolate in two batches, mixing until fully incorporated.
6. Pour the pudding into ramekins using a ladle, will probably be about 6 servings. Cover the ramekins in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours and up to overnight before serving.
<3, The Sweet Petite