4.12.2012

old fashioned cupcakes


Last weekend, on a trip to Barnes and Noble, I took a peek at the cookbook section and there it was. The couple on the cover looked so blissfully happy with their baked goods on the shelves behind them. I knew I was buying the book just based on the cover...whoever said you can't judge a book by it's cover was wrong, I most definitely can. So what is this adorable little baked good cookbook? The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook by Cheryl and Griffith Day. I had never heard of this particular bakery in Savannah, Georgia but after having read the cookbook cover to cover I know that I must go. The down-home baked goods are representative of all things good about baking sweet things.

For my first baking adventure from this array of goodie options, I chose to make Old Fashion Cupcakes. Paula Deen wrote the forward for the book and the couple says in their cookbook trailer that the first time she had these old fashioned cupcakes, she cried. So I knew there must be something to this recipe.
Here's the thing about me, I actually don't really like eating things that I have made, that is unless they are really good. I don't know if this is just the perfectionist in me or if all bakers are like this, but I find myself to be much to critical of everything that comes out of the oven- even if others are raving. However, these cupcakes, I ate. And not only did I eat them, I enjoyed them. Every last bite. They are simply wonderful and are going to be the featured vanilla cupcake for a wedding that I am doing later on this year. NOMNOMNOM. I highly recommend these yummy vanilla treats :)

Old Fashioned Vanilla Cupcakes
{Recipe from The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook}
*Make 24 Cupcakes

1 Cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 and 3/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature cut into 1/2-inch cubes
4 large eggs, at room temperature

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line 24 cupcake cups with paper lines. {*Note, I was only able to get about 18 cupcakes out of the batter because I prefer a more full cupcake}

In a small bowl, combine the milk and the vanilla. Set aside.

The the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine both of the flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt and mix on low speed for two to three minutes. With the mixer on low, add the cubes of butter a few pieces at a time, mixing for about two minutes in between. Continue to add all of the butter until the mixture resembles coarse sand.

With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, mixing until well combined after each. Turn the speed to low and gradually add the milk and vanilla mixture, mix for another one to two minutes.

Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold the batter with a spatula to make sure that all of the batter was fully incorporated. 

Pour the batter evenly into the prepared tins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.

Old Fashioned Buttercream Frosting
{Makes about six cups}

2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
6 to 7 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter on medium speed for about 3 minutes {I use 4 on my KitchenAid Mixer}.

Add 4 cups of the powdered sugar, the milk, and the vanilla and beat until well combined.

Add the rest of the powdered sugar gradually until the frosting reaches desired consistency. {*Note, for stiffer buttercream add more powdered sugar and vice versa}.

Spread large dollops over the cooled cupcakes with a spatula or spoon.


Eat up and Enjoy!

<3, The Sweet Petite

SPRINKLE SUGAR FUN!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...