9.06.2012

Epiphanies.

Here's the thing you guys: summer is almost over and what do I have to show for it? I have NO tan lines, no fixed up Winnebago (it's a lost cause...on to buying a cuter, towable food truck), and no progress on my work-in-progress blog page/more official website over at Wordpress...that shiz is confusing! So here I am just realizing that I have not done half of the stuff I wanted to, but I did do some of things that I had wanted AND I realized some things along the way.

ONE {the baker's epiphany -- make more pie (and stuff) like this delish s'mores delight.}

Let us first discuss why it is that I put so much energy into this little baking thing of mine. I seek approval in a few places in life. I need you to laugh when I make jokes, I think I'm witty and clever and I would appreciate if you showed your appreciation with a chuckle. I also need feel like I'm a good student, grades are important to me (this does not mean I get ones necessarily, but it's the complaining after the bad grade that counts right?) Lastly and most importantly, I NEED to know that people like what I bake. Because of this I have a tendency to stress out about how my baked goods taste. Are they too sweet? Is the texture off? I always grill the tasters of things I make with these questions and often I bring out qualities in the food that they wouldn't have noticed had I not said anything. So people, its time to chill the eff out.

I have always said that I don't like fancy desserts. I strictly want to be a baker and that means simple and classic desserts done well or with a twist. The cupcake trend is an easy one to fall into, they are cute, easy, and they always please. So naturally with all the cupcakes I made for different events, I became a cupcake baker. However, that is never where I wanted to take this baking career of mine. To be honest, I don't really even like cupcakes (!!!) I think that most cupcake bakeries mound WAY too much frosting on such a small cupcake and the balance is all off and frankly I prefer to eat my cake with ice cream and fork. So even though I am well versed on the ins and outs of cupcakeateering, I have recently decided it's time to broaden my horizons.

I am going to start to focus more on desserts that feel as good as they taste, sounds weird but there are textures of desserts like pies, cobblers, puddings, and crisps are far superior to that of cake/cupcakes. Don't get me wrong I love to make cakes and cupcakes (they are the most fun to decorate) but I never find myself eating a dozen cupcakes the way I will "accidentally" eat a whole pie. Obviously, cupcakes and cakes are the best route to take for events because you can fancy them up with all different kinds of decorations, but mini pies are on the rise and I intend to see these interesting, upcoming food trends through.

TWO {the blogging epiphany}

I want to produce a consistent blog, I really do. But how on earth do I come up with five things to post about each week? My life simply does not consist of enough excitement for that. But, I figure that this school year having a blogging routine where I post each day about something I want to, will give me something to look forward to and something to think about all week. I will be coming up with columns that I will post in such as baking, diy, random shiz....

Let me know if you want to see any particular columns on this blog this year!



In other news, my Etsy shop is now at TEN whole favorites!!! You guys, that is depressing. Are sassy cake toppers a thing of the nobody-actually-buys-those kind of Etsy store? It has only been a week so we will give that one time and if you need a cake topper with some sass head on over to my Etsy shop and do me a solid would ya?

Best, Jenna

P.S.

I have been working on a signature phrase for most of my adult life (1 year) and I have arrived at "Best." It's mature and classy, ay?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...